Program Goals - Medical Laboratory Technology
At completion of the Medical Laboratory Technology program, the medical laboratory technician will:
- Perform routine clinical laboratory tests (such as hematology, clinical chemistry, immunohematology, microbiology, serology/immunology, coagulation, molecular and other emerging diagnostics) as the primary analyst making specimen oriented decisions on predetermined criteria, including a working knowledge of critical values.
- Possess communication skills which extend to frequent interactions with members of the healthcare team, external relations, customer service and patient education.
- Recognize and perform diverse functions in areas of pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical processes.
- Recognize and perform responsibilities for information processing, training and quality control monitoring.
- Recognize the significance of accurate and reliable data when performing testing procedures in the clinical laboratory. and quality control monitoring.
- Possess the knowledge and skills appropriate to successfully pass a national certifying examination for Medical Laboratory Technicians.
- Develop the ability to assess his/her competencies and achievements through periodic evaluation processes.