Building Construction Technology
Our hands-on Building Construction Technology program provides comprehensive training in the construction field. You will study everything from carpentry and cabinetry, residential and commercial construction, concrete and masonry construction, and gain drafting and estimating skills.
You will participate in program activities and projects affiliated with the National Association of Home Builders and the Associated General Contractors professional groups. This includes putting your education to work as you build a new house with your fellow students. Construction takes place during the Fall semester and the house is auctioned off at completion. The home build experience provides real-world industry exposure which helps you develop the necessary leadership skills important for a successful career.
Students entering this program may qualify for the Scott Pathway Scholarship.
You can start the Building Construction Technology program in the Fall term. Follow these steps to finish your application:
- Want to learn more about SCC? Come see how SCC will help you achieve Your Path to Possible! Schedule a campus visit!
- Need help exploring career opportunities or navigating the admissions process? Schedule an appointment with an Admissions Counselor.
- Ready to apply? Complete an Application for Admission.
- Submit ACT, SAT, Next Generation Accuplacer, or Accuplacer test scores (reading and math) or official college transcripts showing completion of post-secondary coursework in English and math to the Admissions Office at any SCC location.
In addition, you are required to provide or purchase a basic tool set during the first semester. Tools may be purchased at the SCC Campus Store.
You’re a Good Fit
You will be successful in our Building Construction Technology program if you:
- have high spatial relations ability
- have good math ability in basic math and geometry
- are an excellent communicator, both written and verbal
- have the ability to perform physically demanding work in all kinds of weather
- are detail-oriented and can work within precise limits or standards of accuracy
- are a sequential and analytical thinker
- have the perseverance to stay on a multi-step task to completion
- enjoy working with your hands
- can work cooperatively as a member of a team
- like to see results
Our Building Construction Technology program give you the foundation needed for any career in the construction industry. Recent SCC graduates report an average starting annual salary of $43,368. Career options in building construction include:
- Cabinet Maker
- Concrete/Masonry Specialist
- Construction Laborer
- Construction Owner
- Construction Technician
- Project Foreman
- Skilled Laborer