Agriculture - Horticulture and Turfgrass Management
Our Horticulture & Turfgrass Management program prepares you for a variety of career opportunities, from landscape design and construction to greenhouse management to athletic field and golf course maintenance. We combine classroom theory with hands-on experience in various settings throughout the Beatrice Campus, including a two golf course holes, and pursue a cooperative experience at a golf course, landscape company, greenhouse, and more.
You’ll be able to personalize your degree with a focus that reflects your interest. These include:
- Horticulture: You will have the knowledge and skills to succeed in landscape construction and installation, greenhouse manager, nursery manager, and more.
- Turfgrass Management: There is high demand for technically trained students to manage and maintain turfgrass areas on golf courses, athletic fields, sports complexes, home lawns, and more.
You can start the Horticulture & Turfgrass Management program in the Fall or Spring terms. Follow these steps to finish your application:
- Want to learn more about SCC? Come see how SCC will help you achieve Your Path to Possible! Schedule a campus visit!
- Need help exploring career opportunities or navigating the admissions process? Schedule an appointment with an Admissions Counselor.
- Ready to apply? Complete an Application for Admission.
- Submit ACT, SAT, Next Generation Accuplacer, or Accuplacer test scores (reading and math) or official college transcripts showing completion of post-secondary coursework in English and math to the Admissions Office at any SCC location.
Contact your program advisor to select general education courses from each category to meet graduation requirements.
You’re a Good Fit
You are a good fit for Horticulture & Turfgrass Management program if you:
- are flexible and adaptive
- have excellent management skills
- understand ecological principles
- are willing to be a lifelong learner
- can see the big picture
- have a conservation ethic
- are detail oriented and creative
- are a cautious risk taker
You will be prepared for a variety of careers when you graduate from our Horticulture & Turfgrass Management program. Average starting salary in the industry is $42,224. Careers include:
- Golf Course Assistant
- Golf Course Spray Tech
- Golf Course Irrigation Tech
- Sports Field Manager
- Landscape Construction
- Landscape Installation
- Landscape Maintenance
- Landscape Sales
- Greenhouse Manager
- Equipment Salesperson
- Research Technician
- Commercial Pesticide Applicator